Knight says there are 28. These are the ones I am aware of who have publicly declared their finalist status, so far. In no particular order:
- Scraperwiki – announcement, proposal, site
- Overview (that’s me and colleagues) – announcement, proposal, demo
- Recast – announcement, proposal
- Newscloud – announcement, proposal, site
- The Tiziano Project – announcement, proposal, site
- PANDA – announcement, proposal
- BlankOnBlank – announcement, can’t find the proposal (closed?), site
- Mobile news submission/verification/delivery system for the Palestinian Territories – announcement, proposal, site
- Plan Philly – announcement, proposal, site
- Bringing OpenBlock to Rural Amercia – announcement, can’t find the proposal (closed?)
- @waldojaquith says he got in, – announcement, closed proposal but he describes it in the comments below
- @fin got in too – announcement, close proposal, but he gave hints: 1 2 3
I mostly started making this list as a way to learn about cool projects — and you should definitely check these out — but I admit it’s also a sort of obsessive-compulsive curation instinct at work.
Last updated 6 April. Do let me know of others.
2 thoughts on “Knight News Challenge 2011 Finalists”
I’m glad you’re maintaining this list! I was about to start doing the same thing, but it occurred to me that you might have already started.
So, all of that is already happening, Knight Foundation or no. My grant application would fund taking this code base, modifying it to use more pluggable modules, and working with open government and technology groups around the country to get it used in as many states as possible.
A lot of folks have put a lot of work into opening legislative activities to the public. But the actual state codes remain a black hole. We’re really excited about how laws get passed, but what’s already on the books and what happens once those laws get passed, apparently we don’t care so much about. I want to change that.
BTW, I’m excited for Overview. Y’all should really get funded. That’s a tool I could put to work immediately!